Faculty Profile - Daniel Béland
Professor and Canada Research Chair in Public Policy, Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, and Associate Member, Department of Sociology, University of Saskatchewan
- Grants / Awards
- Research & Publications
A political sociologist studying public policy from an historical and comparative perspective, Daniel Béland has published eight books and more than sixty peer-reviewed journal articles. Professor Béland has held visiting fellowships at the University of Chicago, Harvard University, George Washington University, the University of Helsinki, the University of Southern Denmark and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. He currently serves as the editor (French) of the Canadian Journal of Sociology and as secretary-treasurer of the Research Committee 19 (Poverty, Social Welfare and Social Policy) of the International Sociological Association. In addition to his academic work and service, since joining the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School back in 2008, Professor Béland has participated in training sessions for civil servants, provided policy advice to federal and provincial officials, and testified in front of the Standing Committee on Finance of the House of Commons (Canada). He has also been quoted in major newspapers and is regularly asked to give radio and television interviews on key policy and political issues.
Phone: (306) 966-1272
- PhD in Political Sociology, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (Paris)
- MA in Sociology, Université du Québec à Montréal
- BA in Sociology, Université du Québec à Montréal
Areas of Interest
Recent Awards and Honors
- Featured in the Canadian Who's Who 2012 (University of Toronto Press, 2012)
- Featured in the Canadian Who's Who 2011 (University of Toronto Press, 2011)
- Visiting Professor, University of Helsinki and University of Southern Denmark (April-June 2011)
- Featured in the online Dictionary of Eminent Social Scientists: Autobiographies (2010)
- Elected Member, National Academy of Social Insurance (Washington, DC) (2008)
- Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (2008)
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard University [Kennedy School of Government] (2004)
Recent Research Funding
- Principal Investigator, SSHRC Standard Research Grant (2008-2012)
- Michael Atkinson, Daniel Béland, Gregory Marchildon, Kathleen McNutt, Peter Phillips and Ken Rasmussen. Forthcoming . Governance and Public Policy in Canada: A View from the Provinces. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Daniel Béland and Alex Waddan. 2012. The Politics of Policy Change: Welfare, Medicare, and Social Security Reform in the United States. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2012. Nationalisme et protection sociale. Ottawa: Presses de l'Université d'Ottawa [revised translation of Nationalism and Social Policy].
Daniel Béland. 2010. What is Social Policy? Understanding the Welfare State. Cambridge: Polity Press, 199 pages.
Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2008. Nationalism and Social Policy: The Politics of. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 255 pages. Revised paperback edition Territorial Solidarity with new preface (2010).
Daniel Béland. 2007. States of Global Insecurity: Policy, Politics, and Society. New York: Worth Publishers ("Contemporary Social Issues" series), 156 pages. [Excerpt to be reprinted in George Ritzer's Readings in Globalization volume (Blackwell, 2010)].
Daniel Béland. 2005. Social Security: History and Politics from the New Deal to the. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas ("Studies in Government and Public Privatization Debate Policy" series), 252 pages. Revised paperback edition with new afterword (2007). ["Outstanding Academic Title 2005," Choice; excerpt reprinted in The Norton American Politics Online Reader (2007)].
Daniel Béland. 2001. Une sécurité libérale? La politique des retraites aux États-Unis ["A Liberal Security? Retirement Policy in the United States"]. Paris: Librairie générale de droit et de jurisprudence ("Droit et société" series), 239 pages.
Edited Volumes and Special Issues
- Daniel Béland and Robert H. Cox (eds). 2011. Ideas and Politics in Social Science Research. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Larry DeWitt, Daniel Béland, and Edward Berkowitz (eds). 2007. Social Security: A Documentary History. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly Press, 557 pages. ["Editors' Pick," Choice, February 2008; "Outstanding Academic Title 2008," Choice; Finalist/Honorable Mention, 2008 PROSE Awards (Single Volume Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences)].
- Daniel Béland and Brian Gran (eds). 2008. Public and Private Social Policy: Health and Pension Policies in a New Era. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 298 pages.
- Daniel Béland and John Myles (eds). 2004. Special Issue of the Canadian Journal of Sociology [29(2): 165-312] on Social Policy: Canadian and International Perspectives.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals (since 2009)
- Lindsey Bruce, Angela Bowen, and Daniel Béland. Forthcoming. “Mother First: Developing a Maternal Mental Health Strategy in Saskatchewan,” Healthcare Policy.
- André Lecours and Daniel Béland, Forthcoming. “The Institutional Politics of Territorial Redistribution: Federalism and Equalization Policy in Australia and Canada,” Canadian Journal of Political Science.
- Daniel Béland and Mitchell A. Orenstein. Forthcoming. “International Organizations as Policy Actors: An Ideational Approach,” Global Social Policy.
- Ishmael Wireko and Daniel Béland. Forthcoming. “The Challenge of Healthcare Accessibility in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Role of Ideas and Culture,” European Journal of International Management.
- Daniel Béland and John Myles. Forthcoming. “Varieties of Federalism, Institutional Legacies, and Social Policy: Comparing Old-Age and Unemployment Insurance Reform in Canada,” International Journal of Social Welfare.
- Tamer Qarmout and Daniel Béland. 2012. “The Politics of Foreign Aid to the Gaza Strip,” Journal of Palestine Studies, XLI(4): 1-16.
- Daniel Béland and Alex Waddan. 2012. “The Obama Presidency and Health Insurance Reform: Assessing Continuity and Change,” Social Policy & Society, 11(3): 319-330.
- Michael W. Kpessa and Daniel Béland. 2012. “Transnational Actors and the Politics of Pension Reform in Sub-Saharan Africa,” Review of International Political Economy, 19(2): 267-291.
- Heather Rollwagen and Daniel Béland. 2012. “Responding to Calgary’s ‘Gang War’: A Political Sociology of Criminological Ideas,” Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice, 54(1): 141-168.
- Daniel Béland and Alex Waddan. 2011. “Ideen und sozialpolitischer Wandel: Konzeptionelle Überlegungen am Beispiel der USA,” Zeitschrift für Sozialreform, 57(4): 463-485.
- Michael W. Kpessa, Daniel Béland, and André Lecours. 2011. “Nationalism, Development, and Social Policy: The Politics of Nation-Building in Sub-Saharan Africa,” Ethnic and Racial Studies, 34(12): 2115-2133.
- Daniel Béland. 2011. “La question des retraites et la présidence Obama,” Retraite et société, n° 61: 137-156.
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2011. “Le nationalisme et la gauche au Québec,” Globe: Revue internationale d’études québécoises, 14(1): 37-52.
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2011. “The Ideational Dimension of Federalism: The ‘Australian Model’ and the Politics of Equalization in Canada,” Australian Journal of Political Science, 46(2): 199-212.
- Daniel Béland. 2011. “The Politics of Social Policy Language,” Social Policy & Administration, 45(1): 1-18.
- Colin Wiseman and Daniel Béland. 2010. “Hugo Chávez, Oil Policy and the Politics of Institutional Change in Venezuela,” Canadian Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Studies, 34(nº69).
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2010. “Logiques institutionnelles et politiques publiques: le programme de péréquation d’hier à aujourd’hui,” Politique et Sociétés, 29(2): 3-20.
- Daniel Béland. 2010. “Reconsidering Policy Feedback: How Policies Affect Politics,” Administration & Society, 42(5): 568-590.
- André Lecours and Daniel Béland. 2010. “Federalism and Fiscal Policy: The Politics of Equalization in Canada,” Publius: The Journal of Federalism, 40(4): 569-596.
- Daniel Béland. 2010. “Policy Change and Health Care Research,” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, 35(4): 615-641.
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2010. “Does Nationalism Trigger Welfare State Disintegration? Social Policy and Territorial Mobilization in Belgium and Canada,” Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 28(3): 420-434.
- Daniel Béland and Alex Waddan. 2010. “The Politics of Social Policy Change: Lessons of the Clinton and Bush Presidencies,” Policy & Politics, 38(2): 217-233.
- Daniel Béland. 2010. “The Idea of Power and the Role of Ideas,” Political Studies Review, 8(2): 145-154.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “Vieillissement et discours politique,” Lien social et politiques, n°62: 29-40.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “Gender, Ideational Analysis, and Social Policy,” Social Politics, 16(4): 558-581.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “Idées, institutions politiques et production de l’expertise,” Quaderni: la revue de la communication, nº70: 39-48.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “Back to Bourgeois? French Social Policy and the Idea of Solidarity,” International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 29(9/10): 445-456.
- Kristina Babich and Daniel Béland. 2009. “Policy Change and the Politics of Ideas: The Emergence of the Canada/Quebec Pension Plans,” Canadian Review of Sociology, 46(3): 253-271.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “Ideas, Institutions, and Policy Change,” Journal of European Public Policy, 16(5): 701-718.
- Julie Kaye and Daniel Béland. 2009. “The Politics of Ethnicity and Post-Conflict Reconstruction: The Case of Northern Ghana,” Journal of Contemporary African Studies, 27(2): 177-200.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “Les mutations de la protection sociale aux États-Unis,” Hérodote: revue de géographie et de géopolitique, n°132: 128-145.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “The Great Social Security Debate,” International Journal, 64(1): 115-123.
- Daniel Béland. 2009. “Les politiques sociales sous la présidence Bush,” Politique américaine, n°12: 17-27.
Other Journal Articles
- Julia Brotea and Daniel Béland. 2007. "‘Better Dead than Communist!' Contentious Politics and Identity Formation in 1990 Romania," Spaces of Identity, 7(2): 77-100 [Romanian translation and English reprint published in Pavilion: Journal for Politics and Culture, nº15 (2010): 23-63].
- Daniel Béland and John Myles. 2004. "Introduction [to the Special Issue ‘Social Policy: Canadian and International Perspectives']," Canadian Journal of Sociology, 29(2): 165-168.
- Daniel Béland. 2003. "Identity Politics and French Republicanism," Society, 40(5): 66-71.
- Daniel Béland. 2002. "Bridges and Doors: Framing Interdisciplinary Dialogues," Canadian Journal of Sociology Online. < http://www.cjsonline.ca/newmill/beland.html>
- Daniel Béland and Randall Hansen. 1998. "La question de la citoyenneté sociale au Royaume-Uni: vers une réflexion européenne?" ["British Social Citizenship in Question: Toward a European Debate?"], Droit social, November: 918-926.
- Daniel Béland. 2011. "The Unhealthy Risk Society: Health Scares and the Politics of Moral Panic" in Sean P. Hier (ed.), Moral Panic Studies: Problems, Politics and Possibilities. London: Routledge.
- Daniel Béland and Alex Waddan. 2011. "Social Policy and the Recent Economic Crisis in Canada and the United States" in Kevin Farnsworth and Zoë Irving (eds), Social Policy in Challenging Times: Economic Crisis and Welfare Systems. Bristol: The Policy Press.
- Daniel Béland. 2011. "Population Aging and Public Policy in Saskatchewan" in David McGrane (ed.), New Direction in Saskatchewan Public Policy. Regina: Canadian Plains Research Center.
- Daniel Béland and Robert H. Cox. 2011. "Ideas and Politics" in Daniel Béland and Robert H. Cox (eds). Ideas and Politics in Social Science Research. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2011. "Nationalism and Welfare State Politics" in Andrzej Marcin Suszycki (ed.), Welfare Citizenship and Welfare Nationalism. Helsinki: University of Helsinki and the Nordic Centre of Excellence ("NordWel Studies in Historical Welfare State Research").
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2009. "Nationalism, Federalism, and Social Citizenship: The Continental Divide Revisited." In André Lecours and Genevieve Nootens (eds), Dominant Nationalism, Dominant Ethnicity: Identity, Federalism and Democracy. Brussels: Peter Lang, pp. 131-148.
- Daniel Béland and Brian Gran. 2008. "Introduction: Public and Private?" In Daniel Béland and Brian Gran (eds), Public and Private Social Policy: Health and Pension Policies in a New Era.Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 1-14.
- Brian Gran and Daniel Béland. 2008. "Conclusion: Revisiting the Public-Private Dichotomy." In Daniel Béland and Brian Gran (eds), Public and Private Social Policy: Health and Pension Policies in a New Era. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 269-281.
- Daniel Béland and André Lecours. 2005. "Nationalism and Social Policy in Canada and Québec." In Nicola McEwen and Luis Moreno (eds), The Territorial Politics of Welfare. London: Routledge, pp. 189-206.
- Daniel Béland. 2005. "Ideas, Interests, and Institutions: Historical Institutionalism Revisited." In André Lecours (ed.), New Institutionalism: Theory and Analysis. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, pp. 29-50.
- Daniel Béland and John Myles. 2005. "Stasis Amidst Change: Canadian Pension Reform in an Age of Retrenchment." In Giuliano Bonoli and Toshimitsu Shinkawa (eds), Ageing and Pension Reform around the World. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, pp. 252-272 [Japanese translation of the book published in 2004 by Minerva Publishing].
- JSGS 814 - Social Policy: An Interdisciplinary Perspective
- The Politics of Taxation and Social Policy
- Identity Formation, Public Policy, and Territorial Politics
- Ideas and Policy Change in Comparative Perspective
- The Politics of Equalization (with André Lecours, University of Ottawa)
- U.S. Social Policy and the Obama Presidency (with Alex Waddan, University of Leicester)