Faculty Profile - Heather D. Heavin
Assistant Professor, Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy and College of Law, University of Saskatchewan
- Grants / Awards
- Research & Publications
Heather Heavin is a U of S and Harvard-trained lawyer, a law professor, and an expert in international trade, but she is also a scientist: her first degree was in biology. Winner of the law student teaching award in 2007, Heather divides her instructional time between the Masters in International Trade program and the U of S College of Law. She is also engaged in multidisciplinary research. At the College of Law she is working with Michaela Keet on project that is looking at new and emerging dispute resolution techniques and models to resolve business law disputes. At JSGS, she is presently working on a legal-ethical project with Keith Walker. Heavin applied her considerable legal and business knowledge during her term as chair of the SaskEnergy board of directors, and chair of its governance committee and is currently serving on the Governance Advisory Committee to University Council. She also has a beautiful singing voice and loves to run, often in charity fundraisers. Heather's vacation time is frequently spent in the back country, camping, hiking and canoeing.
Phone: (306) 966-5880
- LL.M., Harvard, 2003
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1996
- B.Sc. (Hons.), University of Saskatchewan, 1992
Areas of Interest
- Business law and governance
- Interprovincial trade and dispute resolution
- International trade law and dispute resolution
- Oil and gas law and policy
- 2007 Law Student Teaching Excellence Award
- Heather D. Heavin, The Purposes of Authorized Trade Retaliation: Beyond Inducing Compliance (2005), 84 (2) Canadian Bar Review 211.
- Heather D. Heavin, The Biosafety Protocol and the SPS Agreement: Conflicts and Dispute Resolution (2003), 12(3) Journal of Environmental Law & Practice 373.
- Heather D. Heavin, The Romanow Report: NAFTA Reservations and Proposed Reform (2003), 66(2) Saskatchewan Law Review 575.
- Heather D. Heavin, 2006, Reform of Partnership Law in Canada, Uniform Law Conference of Canada
- Heather D. Heavin, 2005, Fiduciary Duties and Duties of Care of the Public Trustee and Guardian, National Biannual Conference of the Public Trustee and Guardian
- Heather D. Heavin, 2004, Developments in the Law of Contract, Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan Mid-Winter Meeting
- JSGS 815 Strategic Human Resource Management and Policy
- Interprovincial Trade and Dispute Resolution
- Models of Dispute Resolution in Business and Commercial Law
- Law 361 Business Organizations I
- Law 460 International trade law
- Law 455 Oil and Gas Law