Generation West: The Future of Electricity in Western Canada
December 10-11, 2013 / Ramada Hotel, Regina, SK
From rising utilities bills to summer blackouts, Canadians are increasingly aware of the challenges faced by the electricity sector. In much of the West, these challenges include ageing infrastructure, recent regulations affecting the life of coal fired generating assets, and accelerating technological change. At the same time, there is a need to address rapid demographic shifts and a growing awareness of the risks posed by climate change. Generation West will provide a high-level overview of the sector and discuss the contributions that leadership, new technologies, engagement and complexity will play in managing the risks and meeting the challenges. It aims to debate the possibilities of a coordinated provincial response, and to see if the time has come to look at the larger picture of power in the West.
Included in registration fee is a Boundary Dam tour located in Estevan, SK - December 10, 2013 (seating limited to 50 people).
Keynote Speakers include:
- John Wilkinson, Former Ontario Cabinet Minister , President & CEO of Wilkinson Insight Incorporated
- Honourable Kevin Doherty, Minister of Parks, Culture and Sport and Minister Responsible for the Provincial Capital Commission, Government of Saskatchewan
Panel Speakers include:
- Jim Burpee, President & CEO, Canadian Electricity Association
- Monica Gattinger, Associate Professor, Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctural Studies, University of Ottawa
- James Meadowcroft, Canada Research Chair in Governance for Sustainable Development and Professor, School of Public Policy and Administration, Carleton University
- Miggie E. Cramblit, Vice President General Counsel Corporate Secretary and Director of External Affairs, Midwest Reliability Organization
- Mike Monea, Vice President, Carbon Capture & Sequestration Project, SaskPower
- Jeremy Rayner, Centennial Chair & Professor, Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Saskatchewan
Program and Presentations
Download the conference agenda.
Download the slides from the opening plenary panel, The Future of Power Generation
- The Future of Power Generation - Presented by Jim R. Burpee, President and CEO, Canadian Electricity Association
- It Takes Power to Grow - Robert Watson, President & CEO, SaskPower
- Power from the North - David Cormie, Division Manager, Power Sales, and Operations, Manitoba Hydro
Download the slides from the Future Leadership session
- Energy Leadership in Canada: Are We Up to the Challenge? - Presented by Monica Gattiger, Associate Professor, School of Political Studies, University of Ottawa
- The World's First Post-Combustion Coal-fired CCS Project - Presented by Mike Monea, President, Carbon Capture & Sequestration Project, SaskPower
- FNPA - The Pathway to Powerful Opportunities - Presented by Leah Nelson Guay, Executive Director, First Nations Power Authority
Download the slides from the Governance of Reliability session
- Governance of Reliability: Lighting the Way Presented by Miggie Cramblit, Vice President General Counsel Corporate Secretary and Director of External Affairs, Midwest Reliability Organization
- SaskPower Reliability Leadership - Presented by Rachelle Verret Morphy, Vice President, Law, Land, Regulatory Affairs, SaskPower
- North American Smart Grid Update - Presented by Steve Griffith, Program Manager, National Electrical Manufacturers Association
Download the slides from the Governing Complexities session
- Governance, complexity and the evolution of electricity regimes - Presented by James Meadowcroft, Canada Research Chair in Governance for Sustainable Development and Professor, School of Public Policy and Administration, Carleton University
- Governance of Reliability: Lighting the Way - Presented by Miggie Cramblit, Vice President General Counsel Corporate Secretary and Director of External Affairs, Midwest Reliability Organization
- Managing Complexity and the Power System of the Future - Presented by Guy Bruce, VP Resource Planning and CEO, NorthPoint Energy Solutions
Download the slides from the Public Engagement session
- Building a Bright Future: Aboriginal Engagement - Hydro Opportunities, Past & Present Presented by Wayne Rude, Director, Aboriginal Relations, SaskPower
- Energy Transitions: Engagement and Design - Jeremy Rayner, Professor and Centennial Research Chair, Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy
Registration is now closed.
Regular registration fee is $250.00 plus GST ($12.50) = $262.50
Student registration fee is $100.00 plus GST ($5.00) = $105.00
Boundary Dam tour on December 10th is included in registration fee (seating limited to 50).
Registrations will be accepted online only and must be accompanied by a credit card. Invoicing is not available.
If you have any questions about your registration, contact Janice Yule at (306)585-5863 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Partners & Sponsors
This event is presented by the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy and SaskPower.
This event will take place at the Ramada Hotel at 1818 Victoria Avenue in Regina, SK. Rooms have been reserved under code CGJSDE for December 10th, 2013 at $139.00/night plus applicable taxes. For an individual reservation please contact 306-569-1666 ext 7200 or email: email@example.com on or before November 15th, 2013. Accomodation costs are not included in your registration fee and must be paid separately.
If you have any questions regarding this event, contact Janice Yule, Conference Coordinator at (306) 585-5863 or firstname.lastname@example.org