Areas of Interest
- Mentorship and Executive Leader Development
- Professional and Applied Ethics
- Governance and Board Governance: Public & Social Sectors
- Policy Making and Decision Making
- Collegiality, Vitality, Productivity and Engagement in Organizations
- Hope Fostering, Trust-brokering, Compassion and Moral Agency
- System, Organization and Leader Well-being
- K-12, Post Secondary, and Public Sector Administration
- Personal and Spiritual Dimensions of Leadership and Followership
Keith Walker is a professor in the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy and in the Department of Educational Administration at the University of Saskatchewan. He is convinced of the fundamental importance of robust and thriving systems of early childhood development, K-12 education, post-secondary education and non-formal education for the well-being of civil societies. To his way of thinking, the maturation of governance, organizational, and community learning systems in all three sectors (public, social and private) are critical to our shared futures. Professor Walker’s academic expertise in applied and professional ethics, educational administration, executive leadership, and organizational development, match well with his public policy research interests (governance, leadership-constituent relationships, relationship of social and public sector institutions, decision making and social policy). Walker’s present projects range from an examination of trust - why it is important, how it can be sustained and restored - to how we might further engage public and social sector becoming flourishing and engaging organizations.
- DD, (Doctor of Divinity, honorus causa), Briercrest College & Seminary
- Post Graduate Diploma in Christian Studies, Regent College, British Columbia
- PhD, University of Saskatchewan, Educational Administration
- MEd, University of Saskatchewan, Educational Administration
- BEd, University of Saskatchewan (General with Professional A Teaching Certification K-12)
- BPE, University of Alberta, (Physical Education degree with major in sport and personnel administration)
- Reverend Walker is an Ordained Minister: Licensed Minister-at-Large, Christian & Missionary Alliance in Canada (registered with Province of Saskatchewan)
Recent Research Funding
- 2014 SSHRC Insight Grant: Flourishing in Schools: A Positive Organizational Perspective. 2014-2017 ($185,872) With Professor Sabre Cherkowski (University of British Columbia)
- 2013 SSHRC Insight Grant: Understanding Teacher Attrition and Retention: The Role of Teacher Induction and Mentorship Programs - $156,100 – with Professor Ben Kutsyuruba (Queens’ University)
- 2010 SSHRC Grant: The Best Interest of the Child Study - $100,000 with Professors Heather Heavin and Paul Clarke (University of Regina)
- D. Burgess, K. Walker, J. Chomos, & K. Donlevy (2014). A Guide to Saskatchewan School Law(3rd Edition). Saskatoon: Saskatchewan Educational Leadership Unit.
- K. Walker & K. Sanga (2013). Daily Prayer for South Pacific Leaders. Wellington, NZ: Castle Publishing.
- K. Walker (2014). Daily prayer platforms: Volume one (2nd Edition). Saskatoon: Turning Point Global Publishers.
- D. Burgess, J. Rigby, & K. Walker (May 2013). Guide to Kerr & King’s Rules of Order for University Practice: University of Saskatchewan Edition. Saskatoon: Turning Point Global Publisher. ISBN: 978-1-304-19258-5
- B. Kutsyuruba, D. Burgess, K. Walker, & K. Donlevy (2013). A guide to Ontario school law. Kingston: Turning Point Global Publisher. ISBN 978-1-304-29196-7
- K. Walker (2013). Daily prayer platform: Volume two. Saskatoon: Turning Point Global Publishers. ISBN: 978-1-300-25797-4
- K. Walker (2013)(Ed.). Executive leadership: Selected essays on leadership, ethics and trust in the public service (Volume One). Saskatoon: Turning Point Global Publishers. Pp. 255 ISBN: 978-1-1-300-80112-2
- K. Walker (2012)(Ed.). The beginning journey to wise policy leadership (Volume One). Saskatoon: Turning Point Global Publishers. Pp. 226. ISBN: 978-1-300-25617-5
- J. Nsiah, & K. Walker, K. (2013). The servant leadership role of Catholic high school principals. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. Pp. 168 ISBN: 978-94-6209-056-9
- K. Walker (2012). Daily prayer platforms: Volume one. Saskatoon: Turning Point Global Publishers. Pp. 292 ISBN: 978-1-300-05800-7
- K. Donlevy, & K. Walker (2011). Working through ethics in education and leadership: Theory, plays, poems, prose, speeches, cases, and analysis. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (Eds.)(2011). Adapting mentorship across the professions: Fresh insights and perspectives. Calgary: Detselig Enterprises Ltd. Pp. 459 ISBN: 978-1-55059-410-2
- E. Ralph, K. Walker, & R. Wimmer (Eds.)(2010). The practicum in professional education: Canadian perspectives. Calgary: Detselig Enterprises Ltd. pp. 190.
Recent Book Chapters
- P. Clarke & K. Walker (2013). Best Interests of the Child: Exploring Social Science and Jurisprudential Perspectives. In Chandni Basu & Vicky Anderson-Patton (Eds.). Children and Childhood: Practices and Perspectives . Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press. ISBN: 978-1-84888-179-2.
- K. Walker (2013). The varying meanings of “Best Interests.” In William C. Frick (Ed.). Educational Management Turning on Its Head: Exploring a Professional Ethic for Educational Leadership: A Critical Reader (pp. 35-55), New York: Peter Lang.
- K. Walker & L. Sackney (2011). Sustainable learning in knowledge communities. In J. Westover (Ed.). Organizational Culture, Learning, and Knowledge Management (pp. 391-407). Champaign, Illinois: Common Grounds Publisher (ISBN: 978-1-86335-945-0).
- J. Preston, & K. Walker (2011). Mentorship across professions. In E. Ralph & K. Walker (Eds.). Adapting mentorship across the professions: Fresh insights and perspectives (pp. 21-33), Calgary: Detselig Enterprises Ltd.
- Sanga, & K. Walker (2011). Mentoring by questions. In E. Ralph & K. Walker (Eds.). Adapting mentorship across the professions: Fresh insights and perspectives (pp. 269-290), Calgary: Detselig Enterprises Ltd.
- K. Walker (2011). Serviette Mentoring. In E. Ralph & K. Walker (Eds.). Adapting mentorship across the professions: Fresh insights and perspectives (pp. 252-267), Calgary: Detselig Enterprises Ltd.
- K. Walker, & M. Atkinson (2010). Warranted hope. In R. Couto (Ed.). Political and Civic Leadership: A Reference Handbook . Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications. ISBN: 1412962633
- K. Walker (2010). Developing practical wisdom during the professional practicum. In E. Ralph,
- K. Walker, & R. Wimmer (Eds.)(2010). The Practicum in Professional Education: Canadian Perspectives (pp. 169-190). Calgary: Detselig Enterprises Ltd.
Recent Refereed Articles
- S. Cherkowski, K. Walker, & B. Kutsyurba. (2015). Principals’ moral agency and ethical decision making: Toward a transformational ethics. International Journal of Education Policy & Leadership (IJEPL), 10(3), 1--17.
- A. Saxena, K. Walker, & G. Kraines. (February 2015). Towards reconciliation of several dualities in physician leadership. Healthcare Policy. 10(3), 23--31.
- B. Kutsyuruba, K. Walker, & B. Noonan. (in press). Don’t leave home without it! The trust imperative in the principalship. Leadership and Policy in Schools.
- B. Kutsyuruba, & K. Walker (2015). The role of trust in developing teacher leaders through earlycareer induction and mentoring programs. Antistasis: An Open Educational Journal (Special Issue on Educational Leadership: Complexities and Practicalities), 5 (1), 32--36.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker. (2014). Is Adaptive Mentorship a Viable Mentoring Model? International Journal for Cross---°©‐‑ Disciplinary Subjects in Education (IJCDSE), Special Issue, 4 (3)
- B. Kutsyuruba, Walker, K., & Cherkowski, S. (2014). The grounds and strategies for ethical decision making in Canadian principalship. Management Education: An International Journal, 13(2), 1-11.
- B. Kutsyuruba, & K. Walker (2014). The lifecycle of trust in educational leadership: An ecological perspective. International Journal of Leadership in Education. DOI:10.1080/13603124.2014.915061
- E. Ralph, & Walker, K. (2014). Research synthesis for Adaptive Mentorship. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 7 (3), 221-226. Available at http://www.cluteinstitute.com/ojs/index.php/CIER/article/view/8642/8639
- E. Ralph, & Walker, K. (2013, Fall). Enhancing instructional supervision via Adaptive Mentorship. Canadian Association of Principals (CAP) Journal , 10-12. Available at http://marketzone.ca/ebooks/CAP/T0313/
- D. Ruru, K. Sanga, K. Walker, & E. Ralph (2013, July). Adapting mentorship across the professions: A Fijian view. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring,11(2). 70-93. Available at http://ijebcm.brookes.ac.uk/documents/vol11issue2-paper-06.pdf
- S. Cherkowski, & K. Walker (In Press). Schools as sites of human flourishing: Musing on an inquiry into efforts to foster sustainable learning communities. Journal of Educational Administration and Foundations .
- P. Chrosniak, E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2013, February 19). What Role Can Questioning Play in Mentorship? The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal. Penn State University, Division of Undergraduate Studies. Available online from http://dus.psu.edu/mentor/2013/02/rolequestioning play-mentorship/
- S. Spurr, L. Berry, K. Walker (2013). The meaning adolescents attach to spirituality. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 18(3), 221-232.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2014). The promise of Adaptive Mentorship: What is the evidence? International Journal of Higher Education, 2 (2), 76-85. Available from http://www.sciedu.ca/journal/index.php/ijhe/article/view/2709/1566
- J. Gerard, J. Lapointe, E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2013). Aboriginal post-interns’ views of their rural teaching- practicum. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 6 (3), 1-8. Available from http://journals.cluteonline.com/index.php/CIER/article/view/7902/7960
- B. Kutsyuruba, & K. Walker (2013). Ethical challenges in school administration: Perspectives of Canadian principals. Organizational Cultures: An International Journal, 12.
- S. Spurr, L. Berry, & K. Walker (2013). Exploring adolescent views of body image: The influence of media. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 36(1-2): 1-20.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2013). The efficacy of the Adaptive Mentorship model. Open Journal of Leadership, 2 (2), 1-6. Available online from http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=32622
- S. Johansson-Fua, D. Ruru, K. Sanga, K. Walker, & E. Ralph (2012). Creating mentorship metaphors: Pacific Island perspectives. Learning Landscapes, 6 (1), 243-261. Available from http://repository.usp.ac.fj/5579/1/Creating_Mentorship_Metaphors_Pacific_Island_Perspectives.pdf
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2012). Internships in rural schools. Journal of Co-operative Education and Internships, 46, 44-57. Available from http://www.ceiainc.org/assets/wysiwyg/Journal/JCEIA_Vol46%202012.pdf
- S. Spurr, J.M. Bally, M. Ogenchuk, K. Walker (2012). A framework for exploring adolescent wellness. Pediatric Nursing, 38(6), 320-326.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2012). Enhancing rural internships: Considering the post-Intern voice. Northwest Passage: Journal of Educational Practices, 10 (1), 36-44.
- K. Sanga, & K. Walker (2012). The Malaitan mind and teamship. The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management.
- S. Johansson-Fua, K. Sanga, K. Walker, & E. Ralph (2011). Mentorship in the professions: A perspective from Tonga. The International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching, 9 (2), 19-37.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2011). Helping novices develop in the humanities via Adaptive Mentorship. The International Journal of the Humanities, 9 (2), 121-132.
- K. Walker, B. Kutsyuruba, & N. Bishop-Yong, N. (2011). The principle of Best Interests of Students in the principalship. Journal of Educational Administration and Foundations, 22 (2), 27-60.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2011). Enhancing mentoring in management via the adaptive mentorship model. The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, 10 (8), 35-43.
- B. Kutsyuruba, K. Walker, & B. Noonan (2011). Restoring broken trust in the work of school principals. International Studies in Educational Administration, 39 (2), 81-95.
- K. Walker, B. Noonan, & B. Kutsyuruba (2011). The fragility of trust in the world of school principals. Journal of Educational Administration, 49 (5), 471-494.
- B. Kutsyuruba, K. Walker, & B. Noonan (2010). The ecology of trust in the principalship. Journal of Educational Administration and Foundations, 21 (1), 23-47.
- P. Clarke, H. Heavin, & K. Walker, K. (2010). Racist parenting and the best Interests of the child: A legal and ethical analysis. The Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy.
- E. Ralph, K. Walker, & R. Wimmer (2010a). The field-experiences component of education for the professions: Canadian findings. In N. Simmons (Ed.), Opportunities and new directions (pp. 50-59). Waterloo, ON: University of Waterloo, Centre for Teaching Excellence.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2010b). Mentoring by design: Applying the Adaptive Mentorship model. Design Principles & Practices: An International Journal, 4(1), 465-476.
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker (2010c). Rising with the tide: Applying “Adaptive Mentorship” © in the professional practicum. Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching (CELT), Vol. 3. Hamilton, ON: Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE).
- E. Ralph, & K. Walker, K. (2010). Enhancing mentors’ effectiveness: A promising model. McGill Journal of Education. 45(2), 205-218.
- JSGS 808 - Executive Leadership, Ethics and Trust in Public Service
- JSGS 898 - Public Leadership
- JSGS 851 – Qualitative Research Methods
- Adaptive Mentorship
- Trust Brokering in Public Sector
- Board Governance
- Leadership Development
- Spirituality and Leadership
- Executive Leadership and Governance in Higher Education
- Citizenship Education
- Development of Wisdom in Public Professionals
- Positive Organizational Development
- Altruism in Leadership
- Best Interests of Children/Child
- Non-Profit Leadership Ethics
- EADM 826 – Human Resources Leadership in Education
- EADM 834 - Case Studies in Leadership
- EADM 835 - Policy Making in Education
- EADM 884 - Critical Perspectives on Policy Making: Doctoral Seminar