Areas of Interest
- Digital government
- Social Media
- Policy Analysis
- Program Evaluation
On July 1, 2020, Dr. Kathleen McNutt was appointed as the first female Vice-President (Research) at the University of Regina.
As a JSGS professor, Kathleen's current research interests focus on digital government, climate policy and energy. She is currently embarking on a research program looking at the impact of social media on policy processes, the public sector and governance. In addition, she is examining the potential of integrated digital strategies (web, mobile, social media) to improve public engagement. McNutt regularly facilitates workshops for the school's executive training program. Kathleen teaches various public policy courses at the school including policy analysis, advanced policy analysis, program evaluation and gender based analysis. She has recently been published in such academic journals as Governance, Energy Policy, Internet and Policy, Journal of Information Technology & Politics, Canadian Public Policy, and Canadian Journal of Political Sciences.
- PhD, Simon Fraser University
- MA, University of Alberta
- BA, University of Regina
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). Small Nuclear Innovation Policy Partnership, $141,590. (Jeremy Rayner [principal investigator], Margot Hurlbert, Kathleen McNutt, Bram F. Noble Duane T. Bratt).
- Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR). Leveraging Social Media in the Stem Cell Sector: Improving Public Engagement and Information Dissemination Strategies, 2014-2015, $48,000. (Kathleen McNutt [principal investigator], Timmothy Caulfield, Craig M. Gelowitz and Amy Zarzeczny).
- Petroleum Technology Research Centre (PTRC). A Software Social Conscience Analysis Tool for the Petroleum Industry, 2013-1014, $146,400. (Craig M. Gelowitz [principal investigator], Luigi Benedicenti and Kathleen McNutt).
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). Energy Futures: Managing a Transition to Sustainable Energy in Saskatchewan, $239,000, 2009-13 (Jeremy Rayner [principal investigator], Margot Hurlbert, Tom McIntosh, Dena McMartin, Kathleen McNutt, Lisa Watson, and John McKenzie).
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). Assessing Canada's Policy Capacity for Climate Change Adaptation: The Dynamics of Multi-Level, Multi-Sectoral Policy Making, $203,500, 2009-13 (Michael Howlett [principal investigator], Kathleen McNutt, Anthony Perl, Jeremy Rayner, Russell Williams, and Adam Wellstead).
- University of Regina - President’s Conference Grant. Taking Charge: Towards an Integrated Energy Policy for Saskatchewan, $5,000. (Sole applicant)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC). Virtual Policy Networks, $105,000, 2004-2007. Canada Graduate Doctoral. (Kathleen McNutt [principal investigator]).
- Campus Saskatchewan - Technology-Enhanced Learning Grant. Public Policy Analysis Course Development, $15,000, 2006. (Sole applicant).
- SSRHC 4A Funding Award from the Office of the Vice-President ($5,000) (2011)
- Canadian Political Science Association - Short-listed for Vincent Lemieux Best PhD Thesis (2007)
- American Political Science Association - Winner of the Best Graduate Paper in information technology and politics (2005)
- British Columbia Political Science Association - Winner of the Best PhD Essay Award (2005)
- (2017) Margot Hurlbert, Kathleen McNutt and Jeremy Rayner. Generation West: Energy Policy in Western Canada. University of Regina Press. Forthcoming.
- (2013) Michael Atkinson, Daniel Béland, Gregory Marchildon, Kathleen McNutt, Peter Phillips, and Ken Rasmussen. Governance and Public Policy in a Tense Union: A View from the Provinces. Toronto: University of Toronto. (208 pp)
Refereed Journal Articles
- (2016) Ryan Deschamps and Kathleen McNutt. Cyberbullying: What is the Problem? Canadian Public Administration. 59(1): 45-71.
- (2015) Kathleen McNutt and Daniel Béland. Implementing an Integrated Governance Strategy: The Quest for Gender Mainstreaming in Canada. American Review of Canadian Studies. 45(4): 467-485.
- (2015) Linsay Martens, Kathleen McNutt, and Jeremy Rayner. Power to the People? The Impacts and Outcomes of Energy Consultations in Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Political Science. 48(1): 1-27.
- (2015) Kathleen McNutt and Jeremy Rayner. Is Learning without Teaching Possible? The Tension between Nodality, Reflexivity, and Network Governance. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning. Forthcoming.
- (2014) Ryan Deschamps and Kathleen McNutt. Third Sector and Social Media. The Canadian Journal of Nonprofit and Social Economy Research. 5(2): 29-46.
- (2014) Kathleen McNutt. Public Engagement in the Web 2.0 Era. Canadian Public Administration. 57(2): 49-70.
- (2013) Jonathan Craft, Michael Howlett, Mark Crawford and Kathleen McNutt. Assessing Policy Capacity for Climate Change Adaptation: Governance Arrangements, Resource Deployments, and Analytical Skills in Canadian Infrastructure Policy Making. Review of Policy Research. 30(1): 42-65.
- (2013) Russell Alan Williams and Kathleen McNutt. Climate Change Adaptation and Policy Capacity in the Canadian Finance Sector, a Meso Analysis. Review of Policy Research. 30(1): 93-115.
- (2013) Joshua Newman, Anthony Perl, Adam Wellstead and Kathleen McNutt. Policy Capacity for Climate Change in Canada’s Transportation Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30(1): 19-41.
- (2013) Jeremy Rayner, Kathleen McNutt and Adam Wellstead. Dispersed Capacity and Weak Coordination: The Challenge of Climate Change Adaptation in Canada's Forest Policy Sector. Review of Policy Research. 30(1): 66-90.
- (2013) Kathleen McNutt. Politics, Policy, and Participation: Contemporary Issues in Canadian Gender Equality. Canadian Politics Science Review. 6(2-3): 139-141.
- (2012) Kathleen McNutt. Climate Change Subsystem Structure and Change: Network Mapping, Density and Centrality. Canadian Political Science Review. 6(1): 15-50.
- (2012) Kathleen McNutt. From the Outside In: The External Face of e-Government. Journal of Information Technology & Politics. 9(4): 319-337.
- (2011) Kathleen McNutt and Leslie A. Pal. Modernizing Government: Mapping Global Public Policy Networks. Governance: An International Journal of Policy, Administration and Institutions. 24(3): 439-467.
- (2011) Margot Hurlbert, Kathleen McNutt, and Jeremy Rayner. Pathways to Power: Policy Transitions and the Reappearance of the Nuclear Power Option in Saskatchewan. Energy Policy. 39(6): 3182-3190.
- (2010) Margot Hurlbert, Kathleen McNutt, and Jeremy Rayner. Policy Pathways: Transitioning to Sustainable Power Generation in Saskatchewan. Renewable Energy Law and Policy. 1(1): 87-100.
- (2010) Kathleen McNutt and Adam Wellstead. Virtual Policy Networks in Forestry and Climate Change in the U.S. and Canada: Government Nodality, Internationalization and Actor Complexity. Policy and the Internet. 2(2): 33-59.
- (2010) Kathleen McNutt. Virtual Policy Networks: Where all Roads Lead to Rome. Canadian Journal of Political Science. 43(4): 915-935.
- (2009) Kathleen McNutt and Gregory P. Marchildon. Think Tanks and the Web: Measuring Visibility and Influence. Canadian Public Policy. 35(2):219-236.
- (2008) Kathleen McNutt. Policy Actors on the Web: The Canadian Climate Change Virtual Policy Network. Canadian Political Science Review. 2(1): 1-15.
- (2007) Kathleen McNutt. The Canadian Virtual State. Russian Journal of Political Science 21(4): 78-96.
- (2007) Stephen McBride and Kathleen McNutt. Devolution and Neoliberalism in the Canadian Welfare State: Ideology, National and International Conditioning Frameworks, and Policy Change in British Columbia. Global Social Policy. (7)2: 177-201.
- (2006) Kathleen McNutt. Do Virtual Policy Networks Matter? Research Note: Tracing Network Structure Online. Canadian Journal of Political Science. 39(2): 391-405.
- (2016) Justin Longo and Kathleen McNutt. Keystroke Analysis: Big Data and Policy Analysis. Policy Analysis in Canada: The State of the Art. Laurent Dobuzinskis. Michael Howlett, eds. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- (2015) Michael Atkinson and Kathleen McNutt. The Johnson-Shoyama Internship Program in Public Policy for the Curious: Why Study Public Policy? Kishor Vaidya, ed. The Curious Academic Publishing.
- (2012) Kathleen McNutt and Jeremy Rayner. Nodality in Information Networks: A Discursive Institutionalist Account of Global Forest Governance in The Diffusion of Power in Global Governance: International Political Economy meets Foucault. Stefan Guzzini and Iver Neumann, eds. Palgrave. Pp 91-117.
- (2010) Kathleen McNutt and Dan Perrins. Executive Mentoring and the Johnson-Shoyama Internship Program in Future Directions in Clinical/Practicum Education for the Professions. Edwin Ralph, Keith Walker, and Randy Wimmer, eds. Calgary: Temeron/Detselig Publishers. Pp.39-54.
- (2009) Kathleen McNutt and Sara Hawryluk. Women and Climate Change Policy: Integrating Gender into the Agenda in Women and Public Policy in Canada: Recent Trends. Alexandra Dobrowolsky, ed. Toronto: Oxford University Press. Pp. 107-124.
- (2008) Stephen McBride, Kathleen McNutt and Russell Williams. Policy Learning? The OECD and Its Jobs Study in The OECD and Global Governance. Rianne Mahon and Stephen McBride, eds. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- (2007) Stephen McBride, Kathleen McNutt and Russell Williams. Tracking Neo-liberalism: Labour Market Policies in the OECD Area in Neo-Liberalism, State Power and Global Governance. Simon Lee and Stephen McBride, eds. Kluwer Academic Publishers. Pp.79-93.
- (2006) Kathleen McNutt. Virtual Policy Networks in The Encyclopedia of Digital Government. Ari-Veikko Anttiroiko and Matti Mälkiä, eds Finland: Idea Groups Inc. Pp. 1606-1611.
- (2015) Kathleen McNutt. Can the Web help restore public faith in democracy? JSGS Policy Brief Series.
- (2013) Kathleen McNutt. Public Sector Social Media Applications in the Western Prairie Provinces. Western Policy Analyst. 4(3): 8-9.
- (2010) Kathleen McNutt. An Integrated Approach to Gender Equality: From Gender-Based Analysis to Gender Mainstreaming. Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy Working Paper Series. February, Issue 2.
- (2009) Kathleen McNutt. Citizen Engagement through Online Consultation A Comment on Public Involvement and E-Consultation: A New Era of Democratic Governance in Canada. Montreal, IRPP.
- (2008) Kathleen McNutt and Meaghan Carey. Canadian Digital Government. Regina, SK.: The Saskatchewan Institute of Public Policy.
- (2007) Gregory P. Marchildon and Kathleen McNutt. Infostructure and the Revitalization of Public Health in Canada. HealthcarePapers. 7(3): 44-51.
- Digital Government
- Web governance
- Social Media
- Policy analysis
- Program evaluation
- Network analysis
- Climate Policy