Areas of Interest
- Public health nutrition
- Health policy
- Program and policy evaluation
- Health and social equity
- Citizen science
- Indigenous health
- Chronic disease prevention
- Food security and sovereignty
- Mental health
Dr. Bhawra's research primarily focuses on historically disenfranchised populations and her work with Indigenous partners is rooted in self-determination and governance. She takes a climate equity lens in developing community-led solutions for food security and mental health in the Canadian north.
She is currently implementing her applied research by co-conceptualizing policy solutions with Indigenous communities using the DEPtH Smart Platform’s citizen science approach. Moreover, as a program evaluation expert, she ensures that all evidence-based policy solutions she leads are empirically assessed.
Dr. Bhawra is also the India Co-Leader for the development of Global Reports Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth, and uses her evaluation expertise to translate knowledge across low-, middle-, and high-income countries.
Her other research interests include public health nutrition, chronic disease prevention, and health policy. Apart from her research, she brings a wealth of experience to DEPtH Lab based on her work with global health partners, public health units, non-profit organizations, and leading institutes such as the Hospital for Sick Children.
- PhD in Public Health and Health Systems, University of Waterloo
- MSc in Health Studies and Gerontology, University of Waterloo
- BSc (Hon) in Nutritional Sciences and Sociology, University of Toronto
- Bhawra J, Kirkpatrick SI, Hammond D. (2020). Food insecurity among Canadian youth and young adults: Insights from the Canada Food Study. CJPH. [Accepted]
- Bhawra J, Kirkpatrick SI, Hall MG, Vanderlee L, Thrasher JF, Jauregui de la Mota A, Hammond D. (2020). A five-country study of front- and back-of-package nutrition label awareness and use: patterns and correlates from the 2018 International Food Policy Study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. [Under review]
- Bhawra J, Kirkpatrick SI, Hall MG, Vanderlee L, Thrasher JF, Hammond D. (2020). Correlates of self-reported and functional understanding of nutrition labels across five countries. Findings from the 2018 International Food Policy Study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. [Under review]
- Bhawra J, Kirkpatrick SI, Hall MG, Vanderlee L, White CM, Hammond D. (2020). Patterns and correlates of nutrition knowledge across five countries in the 2018 International Food Policy Study. J Nutr Educ Behav. [Under review]
- Bhawra J, Kirkpatrick SI, Hall MG, Vanderlee L, Hammond D. (2020). Development and evaluation of the Food Processing Knowledge Score: a functional test of consumer nutrition knowledge based on level of processing. JAND. [Under review]
- Bhawra J, Skinner K. (2020). Examination of tools associated with the evaluation of knowledge uptake and utilization: a scoping review. Evaluation & Program Planning, 83:101875.
- Katapally TR, Bhawra J, Patel P. (2020). A systematic review of the evolution of GPS use in active living research: a state of the evidence for research, policy, and practice. Health & Place, 66:102453.
- Shankar S, Skinner K, Morton Ninomiya ME, Bhawra J. (2019). Fostering implementation of knowledge into health practice: study protocol for the validation and redevelopment of the Knowledge Uptake and Utilization Tool. Health Res Policy Sys, 17:105.
- Kwon J, Cameron AJ, Hammond D, White CM, Vanderlee L, Bhawra J, Sacks G. (2019). A multi-country survey of public support for food policies to promote healthy diets. Findings from the International Food Policy Study. BMC Public Health, 19(1):1205.
- Bhawra J. (2019). Developing Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks [Review of the book by Markiewicz A & Patrick I]. CJPE, 34(1):165-167.
- Aubert S, Barnes JD, Abdeta C, Nader PA, Adeniyi AF, Aguilar-Farias N, Tenesaca DSA, Bhawra J, et al. (2018). Global Matrix 3.0 Physical Activity Report Card grades for children and youth: results and analysis from 49 countries. JPAH, 15(S2):S251-73.
- Manyanga T, Barnes JD, Adeniyi AF, Bhawra J, Draper CE, Katapally TR, et al. (2018). Indicators of physical activity among children and youth in nine countries with Low-to-Medium Human Development Indices: A Global Matrix 3.0 paper. JPAH, 15(S2):274-83.
- Bhawra J, Chopra P, Ranjani H, Anjana RM, Krishnaveni GV, Kumaran K, Katapally TR. (2018). Results from India’s 2018 report card on physical activity for children and youth. JPAH, 15(S2):S373-374.
- Bhawra J, Reid, J, White C, Raine K, Vanderlee L, Hammond D. (2018). Are young Canadians supportive of proposed nutrition policies and regulations? An overview of policy support and the impact of socio-demographic factors on public opinion. CJPH. 109(4):498-505.
- Katapally TR, Bhawra J, Tremblay M, Ferguson L, Leatherdale S, Rainham D, Larouche R, Longo J, Osgood N. (2018). The SMART study: a mobile-health methodological platform for active living surveillance, knowledge translation, and policy interventions. JMIR, 4(1):e31.
- Hayeems RZ, Bhawra J, Tsiplova K, Meyn MS, Monfared N, Bowdin S, Stavropoulos J, Marshall C, Basran R, Shuman C, Ito S, Cohn I, Hum C, Girdea M, Brudno M, Cohn RD, Scherer S, Ungar WJ. (2017). Care and cost consequences of pediatric whole genome sequencing compared to chromosome microarray. Eur J Hum Genet. 25(12):1303-12.
- Bhawra J, Cooke M, Guo Y, Wilk P. (2017). The effects of household food security, household characteristics and school environment on obesity status among off-reserve First Nations and Metis children in Canada. Results from the 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey. HPCDP. 37(3): 77-86.
- Katapally TR, Goenka S, Bhawra J, Mani S, Krishnaveni GV, Kehoe SH, Lamkang AS, Raj M, McNutt K. (2016). Results from the India 2016 report card on physical activity for children and youth. JPAH. 13(11):S2.
- Bhawra J, Toulany T, Cohen E, Moore Hepburn C, Guttmann A. (2016). Primary care interventions to improve transition of youth with chronic health conditions from pediatric to adult healthcare: A systematic review. BMJ Open. 6:e011871.
- Bhawra J, Cooke M, Hanning R, Gonneville S, & Wilk P. (2015). Community perspectives on food insecurity and obesity: Focus groups with caregivers of Métis and off-reserve First Nations children. Int J Equity Health. 14:96.
- Moore Hepburn C, Cohen E, Bhawra J, Weiser N, Hayeems RZ, Guttmann A. (2015). Health System Strategies Supporting Transition to Adult Care. Arch Dis Child. 100;559-564.
- Bhawra J, & Cooke M. (2013). The impact of food insecurity on diet quality and obesity status among off-reserve First Nations and Métis children. Can J Diabetes, 37(S2), S233. [Abstract]