The provision of health care has become more complex. Not only has our understanding of health has evolved, the population is aging and increasingly diverse, chronic conditions have become more prevalent, and demands for patient-centred, culturally sensitive care are increasing. The healthcare system must always be vigilant, ready to deal with large scale demands, whether from disasters, demographics or evolving social factors that influence health. At the same time, standards for evidence-based practice, both in frontline care and healthcare team management, shift rapidly as new evidence emerges. As a healthcare leader, you must reconcile various threads of input and evidence against the opportunities and readiness for change all while building resilient teams and optimizing the experience and performance of the health system.
The Excellence in Healthcare Leadership (EHL) program is a four topic, online training program designed to strengthen health administrators’ and policy makers’ visioning and leadership skills. It is built around four core topics – Teams, Results, Value and Service. The topics are viewed through various lenses – including those of patients and families, medical professionals, administrators and policy makers. These lenses help to ensure a balanced understanding of the opportunities and challenges according to stakeholders.
Each of the four training topics includes three core learning modules for a total of twelve. Learning modules will combine self-paced online instruction, readings and activities (approximately two hours) with a synchronous webinar session (one hour) that connects learners in real time with the expert facilitators to discuss and apply the module’s concepts (for a total of 3 hours per module). The online training materials include custom videos featuring personal experiences and insights from healthcare leaders, patients and practitioners sharing their personal experiences and insights.
In addition to the twelve core learning modules, participants select two Deeper Dive workshops relevant to their leadership needs and priorities. These Deeper Dive workshops include expanded online learning materials, a 2.5 hour synchronous webinar session and a personal reflective activity. The reflective activities from the Deeper Dive workshops, together with a final reflective statement, make up participants Capstone Portfolio which is submitted to facilitators and assessed at the completion of the program.
By the end of this program, learners will be better equipped to:
- Analyze the impacts of varied social determinants of health from the perspective of different stakeholders
- Draw an association between health system challenges and leadership opportunities, behaviours and competencies to enable improvement
- Anticipate and proactively address evolving health system needs
- Share insights and best practices with an expanded network of healthcare and public service leaders across Canada
- Input from Experts – The program combines the expertise of JSGS Executives in Residence with input from external experts both as interviewees and as facilitators of live Zoom sessions
- Asynchronous Content – Engaging online content is provided through Rise360. This includes a combination of short facilitator lectures, videos of interviews with experts, interactive activities and readings. The content is designed to facilitate connections with learners current context and encourage transfer of learning to their current work
- Live Zoom Webinars –Webinars are focused on the application of knowledge gained through the asynchronous content. Webinars will explore case studies presented to students in advance and based on case studies presented in advance and through discussion which applies learnings to learners current circumstance
- Ongoing Networking – The Excellence in Healthcare Leadership program provides an ongoing online platform for professional collaboration with your peers across Canada
Program Schedule and Cost
The first public offering of the Excellence in Healthcare Leadership program will be launching in Fall 2020.
Core Modules Schedule
Asynchronous content takes approximately 2 hours per week and runs only on weeks with webinars. All webinars are scheduled from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. (CST).
- Teams: October 14, 21 and 28 (Wednesdays)
- Results: November 18 and 25, and Dec 2 (Wednesdays)
- Value: January 13, 20, and 27 (Wednesdays)
- Service: March 3, 10, and 17 (Wednesdays)
All Deeper Dive sessions are scheduled from 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. (CST).
- Teams: Conflict Resolution, November 4
- Results: Innovative Approaches to Wicked Problems, December 8
- Value: Working with Government, February 3
- Service: Risk Assessment and Mitigation, March 24
The Excellence in Healthcare Leadership program cost is $1,800 per person.
For more information on the Excellence in Healthcare Leadership program, please contact: