The Public Management Certificate provides students with a solid foundation of understanding and skills in public-sector management. Students develop the ability to analyze governing institutions and the processes of modern government along with some of the basic skills and techniques required to manage effectively in the public sector. This certificate is designed for individuals currently working in the public sector who do not have a background in administration and who want to improve their administrative and management skills.
Students must complete (3 credit hrs)
Two of the following elective courses (6 credits hrs):
- JSGS 802 - Public Finance
- JSGS 807 - Statistics for Public Managers
- JSGS 808 - Ethical Leadership and Democracy in Public Service
- JSGS 815 - Strategic Human Resource Management
- JSGS 828 - Project Management
- JSGS 847 - Strategic Planning
- JSGS 853 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- JSGS 882 - Strategic Management in the Public Sector
- The JSGS certificate programs at the University of Saskatchewan schedules an academic break during the Spring/Summer term, which runs May through August. During a scheduled academic break, certificate students may still choose to continue to study, or they may take a break from studies for the term. Please note that due to limited availability of course offerings during the Spring/Summer term, there may not always be course offerings available which are relevant to the students’ programs of study.
University of Regina
Applicants interested in this program must have completed a four-year undergraduate degree with a minimum overall GPA of 70 per cent. There is also a mid-career option for admission, through which prospective students with at least five years of government or non-profit organization management experience may be admitted without an undergraduate degree.
University of Saskatchewan
Applicants must have completed a four-year undergraduate degree from a recognized university. A cumulative weighted average of at least 70 per cent must be maintained during the final two years (60 credit units).Proof of English proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English.
Tuition and fees are subject to change. Should there be a discrepancy between the information posted on the institution's website and information posted on the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy website, the institution website should be viewed as accurate.
University of Saskatchewan campus
The tuition rate for the master’s certificate program at the University of Saskatchewan campus is $1,422.25 (per 3-credit unit course) for the 2021/22 academic year (September 1, 2021, to August 31, 2022). Students must also pay a mandatory graduate student fees and an international surcharge (if applicable, $1,227.75 per term).
University of Regina campus
The tuition rate for the master’s certificate program at the University of Regina campus is approximately $1,341.75 (per 3-credit unit course) for the 2020/21 academic year. Students must also pay a mandatory graduate student fees and an international surcharge (if applicable).