The Public Management Certificate provides students with a solid foundation of understanding and skills in public-sector management. Students develop the ability to analyze governing institutions and the processes of modern government along with some of the basic skills and techniques required to manage effectively in the public sector. This certificate is designed for individuals currently working in the public sector who do not have a background in administration and who want to improve their administrative and management skills.
NOTICE: This certificate includes a combination of in-person and online courses. Students must attend some classes in person. If you live outside Regina or Saskatoon, please contact us about options that may be available to you.
Students must complete (3 credit hrs)
Two of the following elective courses (6 credits hrs):
- JSGS 802 - Public Finance
- JSGS 807 - Statistics for Public Managers
- JSGS 808 - Ethical Leadership and Democracy in Public Service
- JSGS 815 - Strategic Human Resource Management
- JSGS 828 - Project Management
- JSGS 847 - Strategic Planning
- JSGS 853 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- JSGS 882 - Strategic Management in the Public Sector
Course Delivery Modes and Schedules
This certificate includes a combination of in-person and online courses. Students must attend some classes in person. If you live outside Regina or Saskatoon, please contact us about options that may be available to you.
Students who have successfully completed this program may have their course work count towards a full master's degree within JSGS. Please talk with an academic advisor for more details.
University of Regina campus
Applicants interested in this program must have completed a four-year undergraduate degree with a minimum overall GPA of 70 percent. There is also a mid-career option for admission, through which prospective students with at least five years of government or non-profit organization management experience may be admitted without an undergraduate degree.
University of Saskatchewan
Applicants must have completed a four-year undergraduate degree from a recognized university. A cumulative weighted average of at least 70 percent must be maintained during the final two years (60 credit units). Proof of English proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English.
NOTICE: JSGS does not recommend graduate certificate programs to international students for the following reasons:
- The certificates are only 3 courses (9 credit units) in length, and to be considered a full-time student, you must register in 6 credit units (2 courses) per term.
- For example, if a graduate certificate student wants to maintain full-time status, the maximum time in the graduate certificate program would be 6 months if starting in January (encompasses Winter and Spring terms), or 8 months if starting in May (encompasses Spring and Fall terms) or September (encompasses Fall and Winter terms), and a student would need to take a fourth course and pay additional tuition to have full-time status in each term.
- JSGS cannot guarantee that courses required for our graduate certificate programs will be available each term.
- If a required course is unavailable, it can affect the opportunity for full-time studies.
If you are offered admission into the Public Management Graduate Certificate program, a non-refundable tuition deposit of $1,000 CAD is required to save your seat. The non-refundable deposit must be paid within 30 days of the offer of admission being made. If you enroll in the program consistent with the terms of the offer, the $1,000 deposit will be applied to your student account. If you do not enroll, the deposit is retained by JSGS.
NOTICE: If you are an Indigenous student from Canada, you are eligible for a waiver for the non-refundable deposit. For more information, please contact the advisor for the program and campus to which you are applying.
Tuition and fees are subject to change. Should there be a discrepancy between the information posted on the institution's website and information posted on the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy website, the institution website should be viewed as accurate.
University of Regina campus
The tuition rate for the master’s certificate program at the University of Regina campus is approximately $1,507.50 (per 3-credit unit course) for the 2022/23 academic year (September 1, 2022, to August 31, 2023). Students must also pay mandatory graduate student fees.
University of Saskatchewan campus
The tuition rate for the master’s certificate program at the University of Saskatchewan campus is $1,507.56 (per 3-credit unit course) for the 2022/23 academic year (September 1, 2022, to August 31, 2023). Students must also pay mandatory graduate student fees and an international surcharge (if applicable, $1,264.58 per term).