The Public Policy Analysis Certificate provides students with a foundation in public policy analysis, development, and implementation. Throughout the program, students develop analytical skills and gain a solid understanding of the basics of public policy development and implementation. This certificate is designed for those directly involved in policy analysis development or those involved in policy decisions, who want to increase their understanding of overall policy processes.
Students must complete (3 credit hrs):
Two of the following elective courses (6 credits hrs):
- The JSGS certificate programs at the University of Saskatchewan schedules an academic break during the Summer term, which runs July through August. There are no course offerings available during this time.
University of Regina
Applicants interested in this program must have completed a four-year undergraduate degree with a minimum overall GPA of 70 per cent. There is also a mid-career option for admission, through which prospective students with at least five years of government or non-profit organization management experience may be admitted without an undergraduate degree.
University of Saskatchewan
Applicants must have completed a four-year undergraduate degree from a recognized university. A cumulative weighted average of at least 70 per cent must be maintained during the final two years (60 credit units). Proof of English proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English.
* JSGS does not recommend graduate certificate programs to international students for the following reasons:
- The certificates are only 3 courses (9 credit units) in length, and to be considered a full-time student, you must register in 6 credit units (2 courses) per term.
- For example, if a graduate certificate student wants to maintain full-time status, the maximum time in the graduate certificate program would be 6 months if starting in January (encompasses Winter and Spring terms), or 8 months if starting in May (encompasses Spring and Fall terms) or September (encompasses Fall and Winter terms), and a student would need to take a fourth course and pay additional tuition to have full-time status in each term.
- JSGS cannot guarantee that courses required for our graduate certificate programs will be available each term.
- If a required course is unavailable, it can affect the opportunity for full-time studies.
Tuition and fees are subject to change. Should there be a discrepancy between the information posted on the institution's website and information posted on the Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy website, the institution website should be viewed as accurate.
University of Saskatchewan campus
The tuition rate for the master’s certificate program at the University of Saskatchewan campus is $1,422.25 (per 3-credit unit course) for the 2021/22 academic year (September 1, 2021, to August 31, 2022). Students must also pay a mandatory graduate student fees and an international surcharge (if applicable, $1,227.75 per term).
University of Regina campus
The tuition rate for the master’s certificate program at the University of Regina campus is approximately $1,422.00 (per 3-credit unit course) for the 2021/22 academic year (September 1, 2021, to August 31, 2022). Students must also pay a mandatory graduate student fees and an international surcharge (if applicable, $1,239.50 per term).